Ticked two jobs off the list today by making the most of the cold snap and pruning the apple trees then going on and pruning/managing the twisted willow tree. I had feared it was getting too large for the area it was in, and the wind was whipping it about a lot. Turns out that the wind had indeed been busy and one of the larger boughs was split longitudinally.
It makes me smile that we brought it back as a sapling in
the back of Michelle's A4 and now it stands the same height as the
lamppost. The tree was spurred into three from the base when we put it
in and the first of the three spurs was cut off some years ago and was
about 2" diameter I remember and I took it off with a tenon saw. Today
required hatcheting off small branches, then bow-sawing off larger ones
before firing up the chainsaw to take the last main part off, which was
Next up was processing all the wood. I worked
progressively and first of all thinned back the canopy branches into
wood for pea-poles, wood for kindling and then the thinner canopy twigs.
The twigs were then baled up with Michelle's help to dry before being
used for either kindling or for fencing/windblocks.
Using a piece of
sycamore trunk as a chopping block I was able to go through the small
stuff quite quickly with the Granfsors Bruks hatchet. Finally it was a
case of firing the chainsaw up and logging the main spur for firewood.
Breather Bolts Restocked
4 weeks ago